Monday, February 4, 2008

Bisou-bisou

So I got my first French kiss today...

Haha, okay, you know, the double-take kiss on the cheek french custom thing.
So i was walking today from Vavin to St. Germain Des Pres (about a 20 minute walk) and this guy comes up behind me, maybe 29 or 30 yrs old, lil scruffy, sketchy looking at first, and starts talking to me (in french) about the store we just passed with all these pretty colors. And he starts naming all the colors he likes and asks if i like them...yes, creepy, so i say "ouais" (yeah) like twenty times and try to ignore him the best i can. but he persists. Eventually he starts talking about normal things, actors and travelling and politics (he asked me if I was from Provence, i dont know why on earth he would think that, i told him i was from the states, we started on american politics, of course) and we ended up having a like 20 minute walking convo....it was totally weird. And then at the end he shook my hand and leaned in and did the whole french double cheek kiss thing and i totally wanted to avoid it but couldnt, lol. Awkward, but I went with it, w/e. In the end I decided he wasn't actually sketchy. But, better to be wary at first....ya know, "don't talk to strangers." But that doesn't seem to be something french people learn growing up, haha. Except on the metro. Making eye contact on the metro is taboo. :-P

Uploaded about 90 (I imagine I'll have about 2000 by june, haha) pictures yesterday onto my computer, so here are a few:

Two of the many reasons d'Orsay is my favorite museum in Paris.


The pretty donation candles you find in every church here (these were in Notre Dame)

No comments: