Saturday, March 22, 2008

La Vache Kyri(e)

Haha. That'd be a french/greek/choir joke. I quite enjoyed it. (La Vache Qui Rit [a type of cheese] + Kyrie Eleison... get it? qui rit and kyri...same sound...haha...ok, probably not that funny).

Anyways, that brings me to my happy (procrastinating) subject of the day, le jour de Pâques!! Happy Easter, a day early :D I know I wont have time to post tomorrow, so I thought I'd take a break from my writings on 16th-18th century french cuisine(seriously, ask me anything about french cuisine...i am the master now) and do a little cultural analysis. Or more likely, just talk about what Easter is like here.

Difference #1: Pas de lapin de Pâques. No Easter Bunny. sad story. But fortunately "les cloches," bells ring on easter(after three days of silence in mourning) and drop easter eggs/baskets for all the kiddies. So all over the grocery stores here one can find gold-wrapped chocolate bells, and what more, CHOCOLATE CHICKENS! XD Like said poule ici:

I don't have the heart to break into her. However, being the ovo-vegetarian that I am, her eggs were not off-limits. Unfortunately they don't compare whatsoever to Cadbury eggs. But I would have to cross the English Channel to find those right about now. So I hope you all are eating my share! Apparently I have the Germans to thank for this chocolate chicken...i believe they do have an easter bunny...anywho what sense does an easter bunny make anyways. its all about the chicken that can actually lay the eggs. :P

Difference #2: Un Jour Ferié! So, France may not like to be showy with religion, but it does like to take a break whenever possible. And so, everything in cancelled for Easter monday. No class, everything's closed. Well, I have a meeting w/a professor, but true french people are sitting at home eating large numbers of chocolate chickens.

Difference #3: Okay that'd be it. Really, its very much the same. The services we're having at the American Church in Paris are going to be absolutely gorgeous. I'm beyond excited, except for the getting up at 6:45AM part to be at rehearsal at 8. I'm singing with the choir, and there are trumpet players and handbells in addition to us. We're singing Schubert's Gloria and Kyrie. and the Hallelujah chorus which we sang once today...and its much more difficult than i thought so I hope we'll rehearse it more ><

Happy Easter to everyone!

On one more note, some exciting news, my name was pulled out of a hat by our program to take a weekend trip to Strasbourg, France and spend three days with a family there! I'm so excited! I leave this friday and take a train there.
Gloria in excelsis deo. Et in terra pax hominibus bonae voluntatis. Laudamus te, benedicimus te, glorificamus te, adoramus te.

No comments: